Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I'm back and ready for babies!



I'm back from the land of scarves (Paris) and gelato (Italy), art, churches, sparkling seas and rolling hills...and so many babies!

We saw babies in Paris, Tuscany and the Cinque Terre being carried in slings, Ergo carriers, and wraps (so much easier on cobblestone streets than strollers!)...children singing while skipping home for lunch...restaurants welcoming children of all ages...children being greeted and twirled around by Nonnas and Mamas...and many playgrounds tucked into tiny squares.

Birth issues seemed to be everywhere...even on Medieval streets...

One street in Volterra, Italy, was decorated with branches covered in blue ribbons. At first I thought the branches were a local custom, announcing a home birth of a baby. But, it turns out that there has been a big fight to retain birth services in Volterra.  A pilot project allowing women to give birth locally had been scheduled to end in July.  So, why were the branches on this street in September? Had a woman given birth at home recently, against local recommendation? Or were the branches part of a protest against the removal of services? I'd love it if any Italian-speaking clients would read local news articles and let me know!

But, I learned that, no matter where I am, even when I'm on holiday, my thoughts do not stray far from the focus of my passion...birth, babies, mothers...

So, please don't hesitate to contact me by phone or email now... I'm home, rested and ready for babies again!


No comments: